Details will be provided on the first day of the class.
Topics to be covered:
- Print and Reading Culture in Early Modern Japan
- Representations of Japan, Emperor and Empress
- “Good Wife, Wise Mother” as an Invented Tradition
- Visualizing New World Order: International and National Exhibitions
- Introduction of New Types of Periodicals
- Creation of Gendered Colloquial Writing Systems
- Spread of Romantic Love Discourse and Revision of “Good Wife, Wise Mother” Ideology
- The Americanization of Everyday Modernity in Japan
- Film, Radio, and Everyday Modernity
- Photo-journalism and Representations of Japan
- Televised Ads: Rapid Economic Growth, Nostalgia, and Tourism
There will be an in-class screening of a film ("I Was Born, But …" directed by Yasujirō Ozu).