ホーム > 学部後期課程版 > 教養学部 > グローバル教養特別演習I(13)

Home > Under Graduate (3rd and 4th years) > Arts and Sciences > Seminar in Global Liberal Arts I (13)

2017年度 教養学部 08F140513 グローバル教養特別演習I(13) HALLMAN FRANCIS CAND
横断型

This class examines the rise of terrorism--both as a tactic and rhetorical device--following World War II to the present day. Different definitions of terrorism in political discourse and international law will be discussed. Several case studies will be highlighted, included the Franco-Algerian War, Apartheid in South Africa, Sri Lanka, Northern Ireland, and the rise of Al Qaeda and ISIL. We will study terrorism using anthropology, psychology, political science and history. In addition to understanding the causes and motivations for state and non-state sponsored terrorism, we will investigate responses to terrorism: including examples of transitional justice mechanisms (South Africa and Northern Ireland) and armed intervention (Iraq and Afghanistan). This course will give students a better understanding of the role of terrorism in shaping modern politics across the world. The course will include short readings, and students will conduct a research project on a topic of their choice.

2017 Arts and Sciences 08F140513 Seminar in Global Liberal Arts I (13) HALLMAN FRANCIS CANDLER
University-wide

共通科目コード Common Course Code FAS-FA4E05S3
開講学期 Semester S1S2
開講時限 Period
水曜2限 Wed 2nd
単位数 Credits 2
学年 Academic Year Other
他学部聴講 Open to other faculties 可 YES
USTEP生聴講 Permitted to USTEP Students 可 YES
教室 Classroom
駒場12号館 1221教室
Komaba Bldg.12 Room 1221
授業使用言語 Language in Lecture 英語 English
講義題目 Title Terrorism After World War II
授業計画 Schedule Week 1 What is terrorism? Definitions and political use of the term Week 2 Individual motivation and objectives for violence against civilians Week 3 Structural causes and objectives for violence against civilians Week 4 Methods of Terrorism Week 5 Methods of Terrorism (Part II) Week 6 Case Study: The Provisional Irish Republican Army Week 7 Case Study: Al Qaeda Week 8 Case Study: ISIL Week 9 State-sponsored Terrorism (Franco-Algerian War) Week 10 Countermeasures: Armed response (Iraq and Afghanistan) Week 11 Countermeasures: Global non-violent intervention and “soft power” (South Africa) Week 12 Paper Review Week 13 Conclusions: The future of terrorism, peace, and justice
授業の方法 Teaching Methods Lecture and discussion
成績評価方法 Method of Evaluation 20% Class Participation • engaging in class discussion • attendance 30% Reading Reflections • 1-2 paragraph reflections on the week’s readings (total of 10) 50% Final Research Paper • 3,000 word paper on case study (after World War II)
教科書 Required Textbook
No textbook required. Handouts and links to the readings will be provided.
履修上の注意 Notes on Taking the Course This course will be taught in English
学部横断型教育プログラム
University-wide Undergraduate Education Program
国際総合日本学教育プログラム Global Japan Studies Program

Pagetop

マイリストを使うと、自身が興味を持つ科目をチェックできます。 チェックした科目は随時マイリストを開くことにより確認できます。 マイリストを使うためにはログインをしてください。 You can store courses which you are interested in into My List. You can view them at any time by opening My List page. Please sign in in order to use mylist.

Googleアカウントを使ってログイン
Sign in with Google account
Facebookアカウントを使ってログイン
Sign in with Facebook account
Twitterアカウントを使ってログイン
Sign in with Twitter account